All Information About GATE EEE
GATE Electrical Engineering Exam
Through this article, you’ll get a complete understanding about the GATE exam. You’ll learn about the GATE eligibility criteria, syllabus, weightage of subjects, the paper pattern and reference books. We’ll also tell you how to get access to Free Test Series and Online Coaching. So keep reading!
GATE EEE (Electrical) Exam 2022 Syllabus, Subjects, Weightage, Paper Pattern, Reference Books, Free Test Series, Online Coaching
All Information About GATE EEE
The GATE (Graduate Aptitude Test in Engineering) is an All India level exam conducted by IISc-Bangalore and the Seven old IITs i.e. IIT Roorkee, IIT Delhi, IIT Guwahati, IIT Kanpur, IIT Kharagpur, IIT Madras and IIT Bombay. It’s goal is to test the technical aptitude of engineers. GATE 2022 is being conducted by IIT Kharagpur.
The exam is a computer based online exam. It is conducted on the second or third weekend of February each year across multiple cities and candidates will either take the paper in the forenoon (9:30 am – 12:30 pm) slot or in the afternoon (2:30 pm – 5:30 pm) slot. Once a student takes the GATE, their score is valid for 3 years.
Advantages of EEE GATE Exam 2022
Each year, approximately 1.5 lakh students appear for the GATE exam from the EEE stream. The reason for this is that preparing for GATE offers multiple advantage. By cracking the GATE students get the following opportunities / advantages:
Admission to premier institutes for M.Tech / M.S. / M.E. Degrees :Cracking the GATE is a pre-requisite to pursue a masters degree from premier institutes like IISc, the IITs and the NITs. A post graduate degree from these institutes leads to a better chance of placement into top companies like Google, Microsoft, Samsung, CISCO etc. Additionally, these programs are cheap as they are subsidized by the Indian government.
What’s more is that students who pursue their degree from these institutes are eligible for a monthly scholarship of Rs 12,400. This means that earning a degree from these institutes is practically!
Admission to management programs :Several IIMs and other top institutes like XLRI and MDI allow students to enrol for their management programs based on their GATE score. Students can apply for the fellowship program in management at these institutes.
Admission to interdisciplinary programs :NITIE (National Institute for Industrial Engineering), Mumbai offers interdisciplinary post graduate programs like the PGDIE (Post Graduate Diploma in Industrial Engineering) and the PGDIM (Post Graduate Degree in Industrial Management).
These programs train students in technology as well as management. Students who graduate from NITIE are recruited by companies like Amazon and could be offered a salary of upto Rs 40 lakhs per annum.
M.S / M.Tech Programs abroad :Top universities like National University of Singapore (World Rank 11), Nanyang Technical University (World Rank 13) and the Technical University of Munich (World Rank 50) accept admissions for their Masters programs through the GATE.
Jobs at Public Sector Undertakings (PSUs) :PSUs are companies that are owned by the Indian Government. More than 50 PSUs recruit students through the GATE exam for technical roles. Starting salaries can range from Rs 6 lakhs per annum to Rs 14 lakhs per annum.
Apart from this, employees get several additional benefits like housing allowance, travel allowance, medical insurance coverage etc. Finally, these companies offer jobs that are stable and those who join a PSU often work in the same organization for their entire career.
Jobs in the Private Sector :Seven lakh engineers graduate every year in India. Not all get placed in companies as the number of vacancies in companies each year is much lower. In such a scenario, those who qualify the GATE exam (score around 25 – 30 out of 100) differentiate themselves from other engineers.
Companies are more likely to select such students as qualifying GATE is proof that an engineer is technically sound. Additionally, merely preparing for GATE helps students to get placed as the questions asked by companies in their interviews closely resembles the questions asked in the GATE.
GATE EEE (Electrical) Eligibility Criteria 2022
Anyone in the pre-final year of their undergraduate program or higher can take the GATE. So final year students and graduates can take the exam too. Further, there is no age limit to taking the GATE exam and there is no restriction on how many times a student can take the GATE exam. For more detailed information about the eligibility criteria, click here: - GATE EEE (Electrical) Eligibility
GATE EEE (Electrical) Syllabus Weightage 2022
GATE EEE (Electrical) Branch Syllabus 2022 - Exam subjects and subjectwise wightage
The GATE syllabus is a combination of the subjects taught in the third and final year of engineering. The detailed syllabus and weightage of each subject is as under:
|Signals and Systems||
|Electrical and Electronic Measurements||
|Analog and Digital Electronics||
GATE 2022 Question Design
As discussed briefly above, the GATE question paper is designed to test a student’s technical aptitude. Thus, succeeding in GATE is based on a students’ understanding about engineering concepts. Specifically, the questions are designed to test the following abilities:
- Recall: These are based on facts, principles, formulae or laws in the discipline of the paper. The candidate is expected to be able to obtain the answer either from his/her memory of the subject or at most from a one-line computation.
- Comprehension: These questions will test the candidate’s understanding of the basics of his/her field, by requiring him/her to draw simple conclusions from fundamental ideas.
- Application: In these questions, the candidate is expected to apply his/her knowledge either through computation or by logical reasoning.
- Analysis and Synthesis: In these questions, the candidate is presented with data, diagrams, images, etc. that require analysis before a question can be answered. A Synthesis question might require the candidate to compare two or more pieces of information. Questions in this category could, for example, involve candidates in recognizing unstated assumptions, or separating useful information from irrelevant information.
|Example: Q. During machining, maximum heat is produced|
|A. in flank face||B. in rake face|
|C. in shear zone||D. due to friction between chip and tool|
|Example Q. A DC motor requires a starter in order to|
|A. develop a starting torque||B. compensate for auxiliary field ampere turns|
|C. limit armature current at starting||D. provide regenerative braking|
|Example Q. The sequent depth ratio of a hydraulic jump in a rectangular channel is 16.48. The Froude number at the beginning of the jump is:|
|A. 5.0||B. 8.0|
|C. 10.0||D. 12.0|
The above questions may be a mix of single standalone statement / phrase / data type questions, combination of option codes type questions or match items type questions.
GATE EEE (Electrical) Paper Pattern 2022
GATE EEE (Electrical) Exam Question Paper Pattern 2022 - Exam subjects and subjectwise wightage
Students must answer questions from the following sections in the GATE:
No question is compulsory. The 65 questions in the paper will be from any type below:
|Question Type||Description||Negative Marking|
|MCQ - Multiple Choice Questions||Each question has 4 answer options and 1 is correct.||0.33 for 1 Mark Questions
0.66 for 2 Mark Questions
|MSQ - Multi Select Question||Each question has 4 answer options and one or more than 1 will be correct. Students are awarded 0 marks if they select a partially right combination of answers or if they select even one option that isn’t correct.||None|
|NAT - Numerical Answer Type||These questions will have no answer options. Students must calculate the answer and fill the blank in the question.||None|
Students have 180 minutes (3 hours) to solve the paper. That’s around 2.77 minutes per question.
GATE EEE (Electrical) Exam Reference Books 2022
Best GATE EEE (Electrical) Exam Preparation Reference Books for 2022 - Subjectwise
To crack the GATE you must study from the best resources. Apart from Vidyalankar’s study material set we recommend that students study from the following books:
|Electrical Circuit Theory||Electrical Circuit Theory||B.L.Theraja, M.E.Van.Valkenburg|
|Electrical Machines||Electrical Machines||B.L.Theraja|
|Signals & Systems||Signals & Systems||Oppenheim|
|Power Systems||Power Systems||Nagrath & Kothari, C.L.Wadhwa, B.R.Gupta|
|Eectronics||Eectronics||Boylestad & Nashelsky, R.P.Jain|
|Power Electronics||Power Electronics||Rashid, Bhimbra|
GATE EEE (Electrical) Exam Preparation Tips 2022
GATE EEE (Electrical) Exam Preparation Tips for 2022
Here are a list of tips that students find useful while preparing for GATE. We’ve curated this list by talking to several of our GATE toppers and faculty.
- Make a timetable and stick to it. If you are preparing for GATE 2022 then you need to spend at least 6 hours a day studying. If you are preparing for GATE 22, then 3 hours per day will be enough at this point.
- General Aptitude (GA) and Engineering Mathematics have the highest weightage. While GA has 15 marks of weightage, Maths is usually asked for 11 – 13 marks. So practice questions from these subjects every day.
- Study the subjects that have higher weightage first. To check the weightage of each subject, refer to the table in the syllabus and weightage section of this article.
- Of the technical subjects, Digital Logic, Databases and Operating Systems are relatively simpler. So do focus on these subjects to improve your performance.
- Study from reference books. The list of reference books is in the reference books section of this article.
- Get into the habit of creating notes for each subject. The act of writing down what you’ve learnt improves understanding and memory. Additionally, as the GATE comes closer, you’ll have your own set of notes to refer from instead of going through entire books. This will save you a lot of time during revision.
- Solve and analyse at least 10 mock tests. This is the single most important thing you can do to improve your performance.
- Solve the last 10 years GATE question papers (in addition to the mock tests mentioned above). This will give you an understanding of the level of difficulty of the GATE. Doing this will help you understand your current level of preparation.
- To crack the GATE you need to remember concepts from multiple subjects. The best way to do this is through regular revision. So after you finish a subject – do keep revising it along with studying new ones.
- Set aside at least 1 month for revision of the entire syllabus before the GATE exam.
GATE EEE (Electrical) Free Mock Test 2022
Vidyalankar is providing students with 5 free mock tests for GATE 2022. These tests are on a platform that are like the GATE and the tests are designed by past GATE paper setters and are vetted by rankers. Fill this lead form below to get access to the tests or Click on this Link - Free Mock Test for GATE EEE (Electrical) 2022
Steps to Access GATE Mock Test 2022
- Download our new Android app from Google Playstore GATE Exam Preparation - Vidyalankar Infinite. It will take only 2 mins.
- Sign up with your mobile number
- Select subject and start Free GATE Mock Test 2022 Online practise immediately